2009/01/16

New Year Wishlist part 2 of many...

Last year I wrote a post with 10 holiday wishes. Let's recap, and add some more for 2009:

1. PC to Phone. Free. Via the web, all the better.
2009: Almost there, but as far as I can tell, to call a normal phone line, you still need to shell out some cash to Skype, etc.

2. Cell phone to house land line. Get a call on your cell? House phones ring.
Haven't seen this yet. 

3. Localized services on phones. And I don't mean ads. How about "Locate coffee near me." No GPS; just cell tower triangulation. Could have had this in 1998.
Done!

4. Line-in on all car radios. 
Every rental car I've had in the last year has had this. Done!

5. USB jacks everywhere. Free. Such as airplane seats.
Logan has this at some cafe seats, and AirCanada has two ports at every coach seat. Done!

6. Automated image naming on cameras. "It has been more than a day since you turned on your camera; are you in a new location?"
C'mon!!!!! This should be so easy...  At least my Nikon D40 has on-the-fly folders.

7. Automated time zone updates [for computers, cameras, etc]. "This network connection is in {latitude}. Would you like to change to {timezone}?" 
Nope, nadda.

8. Expiring emails. (Bonus; Outlook provides this. Kinda)
Done.

9. MS Office "Personalized menus" banished from all existence.
The ribbon's been a nice change for Offfice. But Vista still wants to think for me...

10. Users who choose to accept personalized menus banished from all existence.
No comment.

New for 2009:
11. Blackberry Storm which works. Better than iPhone.

12. Complete digitization of all periodicals. We're close.

13. Electric vehicle under $30k and fun to own. The Prius is 10 years old. C'mon cough-Audi-cough! Get that A1 out and make it a plugin.

14. Death of Twitter. Yeah, I said it.

1 Comments:

Blogger snarsh said...

As for (1) and (2), it's not exactly what you want, but closer - a VOIP phone with no subscription fee

http://www.ooma.com/learn/

With the premier account, they do forward to your mobile. I talked to these guys at CES and thought that they can also send your mobile phone calls to your home #, but I don't see that listed (Sprint will do it if I dial a number, but charge me $0.10/forward).

I want #8! But not if it's some Outlook-only thing. This should be a standard!

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home